Monday, July 25, 2011

Mud Mountain 2011

This weekend was the 5k in Edwardsville called Mud Mountain due to the course taking place on a lot of wooded hills. I figured Hey, I've got two Warrior Dashes under my belt, a couple of cortizone shots in me, why not? So I joined Luke for his third go at that "mountain."


Leaving for the race. Feeling pretty nervous.....



My awesome neighbors!

Alright, chipped up and ready to go!

This was very cool. A bride and groom had their whole wedding party and several guests run the race before their wedding. I had heard this was going on but didn't think much of it until I read about it in the paper and saw the names. I babysat for the bride's two sons throughout all four years of college. I'm so happy for her!! I also thought it was pretty cool because it was another reminder of how we live in a small town and everyone knows everyone!

And we're off!

Luke going strong!

Me well, going at least!

Our hot cheerleaders. We started the race at 77 degrees feeling like it was 77 and ended the race at 85 degrees feeling like it was 95 degrees. I disagree, I think it felt much, much hotter than that!


Luke finished really well at 33 minutes!



Then because he's a fantastic husband, he turned around and found me so he could run with me to the finish line and keep me going. We are partners in everything. :)


He split off at the end and I finished out on my own.

With  my own personal cheering section encouraging me on!


I finished at 46 minutes (The top row was always lit!) Not fabulous but I'll take it because I finished, fighting a sinus infection, those hills were horrible and I didn't puke or pass out. ;)


So, I was certain I was going to be the last one to finish. I couldn't see or hear anyone behind me for quite some time. I asked a volunteer along the course if that was so and he said -jokingly,I thought!- "Nah, I'm pretty sure there's a blind guy behind you." I figured he was teasing me. Um, nope! Not too long after me, he came through the finish line. AMAZING! This in and of itself is awesome but after teaching a student who is fully blind, I know what it takes to track with a cane and using boundaries etc. so the fact that he ran this with a guide on such a rugged terrain was very inspiring!!


This shot was taken right before I showered and hit the mall with my family!!! Hoping to be even stronger for next year. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Just realized I never comented on this! YOU ARE AMAZING!! Way to go, what a feat!!

    ReplyDelete